Romy Garcia & Victoria Breen
The Rain God
By Arturo Isilas (Part 2 pages 53-110)
- Miguel Grande and Juanita have their 25th Anniversary
- Uncle Felix is killed by a soldier
- Miguel Grande and Lola have a long-term affair
- Miguel Grander and Juanita separate and get back together
Perceptions that males are automatically gay when they have feminine qualities
- Example from the reading:
- ‘All good dancers are queer and you know it’ Miguel shared the macho’s distrust of any man who was too handsome or danced too well” (70)
- Everyday examples:
◦ guys who do hair
◦ guys who stand up for women rights
◦ guys that watch romantic movies “chick flicks”
◦ guys who care about their appearance
◦ guys who have piercings other than on their ears
◦ guys who model- remember that clip we watched in class last week
Homophobia lingered in the court system
- Felix’s killer was justified would we justify such act in today’s reality?
- Miguel Grande and Lola
- Lola is the mistress, “unhousewifely”, spoke up
- Miguel fell in love with her, and was jealous of her talking or dancing with anyone else
- How dies this compare to other mistress relationships you know.
- Miguel Grande and Juanita
- Juanita obeyed, trusted, and did anything for Miguel Grande
- Miguel cheated and unappreciated his wife
- She thought their 25 year marriage was perfect, but he knew it wasn’t
- Miguel Grande and Miguel Chico
- M. Grande wanted to make him a man
- M. Chico wanted to make his dad proud but didn’t want to engage in his kind of “manly” activities
Questions to get you thinking:
- What other relationships did you find interesting in this portion of the reading and how can they relate to your personal experiences?
- If Uncle Felix had been killed for homosexual attempts in todays society, how would society react? How would or wouldn’t it be different?